Skip to main content

Travel concessions bill - London Only - Consultation closes 22nd October 2010

2 replies [Last post]
kevin
kevin's picture

London’s local authorities are proposing to make some changes to the provisions relating to travel concessions in London.

This will be done by depositing a new private Bill in Parliament in November 2010.

We are now consulting on the proposals before the Bill is deposited.

This document Opens in a new window<sets out what is being proposed in relation to providing more flexibility in relation to concession on railways services and to introducing an arbitration provision on the reserve scheme.

The document has more detail of the two proposed changes, and a copy of the draft Bill

The closing date for responses is 22 October 2010.

Please send your response by email to: travelconcessions@londoncouncils.gov.uk< or by post to:
Travel Concessions Bill consultation,
London Councils,
59½ Southwark Street,
London, SE1 0AL.

Related documents

Travel Concessions Bill - Consultation document - Final (DOC, 69.50Kb)<

http://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/Transport/Travelconcessionsbill.htm<

n/a
John
John's picture

I have asked London Councils if they have undertaken an Impact Assessment. I am concerned that the document mentions the re-introduction of an exemption for concessionary travel during "peak time". Though I don't read this in the proposed bill accompanying the document. An Impact Assessment will be clear as to the effect of the proposed changes. I will post it here when or if I get it.

anonymous (not verified)
anonymous's picture

London Councils has called on the Mayor of London to minimise the increased cost to the Freedom Pass through his fares rises.

The organisation which represents London’s 33 local authorities has calculated that the fares hike announced by the Mayor of London will mean London boroughs will have to pay an extra £22million towards the Freedom Pass.

The Freedom Pass, mostly paid for by London’s boroughs, is the most comprehensive concessionary fares scheme in the country. It allows older Londoners plus eligible disabled residents to travel free on the capital’s buses, trains, London Underground, trams, and the Docklands Light Railway as well as local buses across England.

London Councils, which runs the Freedom Pass on behalf of the capital’s 33 local authorities, has calculated that the fare rises will result in a 7.79 per cent increase in the cost of the Freedom Pass in 2012/13.

London boroughs have funded the Freedom Pass for more than two decades, investing a total of more than £3billion.

The fare increases will push the total cost of the Freedom Pass in 2012/13, up to £316,415million. Boroughs will pay £296,942million of this. The Mayor will contribute £19,473million for older people using Transport for London services during the morning peak.

Chair of London Councils’ Transport and Environment Committee Councillor Catherine West said: “We are still in negotiations with Transport for London about the Freedom Pass contract.

“We are calling on the Mayor to minimise the level of the increased cost to the Freedom Pass.

“The Freedom Pass, paid for by London’s boroughs for more than two decades, is the most comprehensive concessionary travel scheme in the country. Many older and disabled Londoners rely on their Freedom Pass to maintain their independence.

“We are very concerned about the impact of Transport for London’s fare increases on Londoners whose household budgets are already counting the cost of these tough economic times.”

http://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/news/current/pressdetail.htm?pk=1381<

X